1 cup buckwheat flour
1 cup rice flour
3 tablespoons chia seed
1 teaspoon baking soda
1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
1⁄4 teaspoon salt
1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
1⁄2 cup brown rice syrup
31⁄2 tablespoons nut butter
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 large apple, peeled, cored, and chopped
1⁄3 cup water
1 tablespoon ground flax seed
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
2. Prepare the egg replacer by mixing the ground flax and water.Allow to sit for 5 minutes to gel.
3. In a large bowl, mix together dry ingredients (buckwheat and rice flours, chia seed, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, and nutmeg). In a smaller bowl, mix together wet ingredients (applesauce, melted coconut oil, brown rice syrup, apple butter and vanilla extract).
4. Add all the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Stir in apple chunks.
5. Pour mixture into oiled 9-inch square pan. Bake at for 30 minutes.
6. When cooled, slice into 16 servings. Freeze tightly wrapped in portions.
Tips: Alternatives include oat flour in place of rice flour, and maple syrup, agave nectar, or fruit juice concentrate in place of brown rice syrup.